Fish Taco Bowls
If you follow along on stories, you know I make A LOT of bowls. I make breakfast bowls, lunch bowls, and dinner bowls. And most of those bowls look pretty much the same – chicken, beans, veggies, and some sort of sauce or dip. Which is exactly what I had for breakfast this morning. But sometimes I like to mix it up and add a whole new flair to my bowls. Because you know, I’m fancy. Actually, I eat leftovers 97% of the time so fancy isn’t the best word to describe myself. Instead of lazy, let’s go with resourceful. Yesterday I asked on stories if people would be interested in more easy bowl recipe ideas and it was a resounding 99%. This bowl isn’t exactly easy, but the people have spoken and I am listening. Next project – easy bowl ideas to make your life healthier, quicker, and absolutely delicious.
I’m currently having one of those Wednesdays where filler under my eyes feels like a must. I’ve never had filler put in under my eyes, but after only sleeping 2 hours and 45 minutes, it may be part of my new life plan. When life gets a little busy and my mind goes crazy, my sleep lessens since I am on my phone and computer far too late. And since this week I launch my newest fitness program this FRIDAY, my Align 3x/week fitness program along with my first ever Align & Shine Wellness Box filled with personalized PaleOMG fitness equipment and wellness items, well, my mind is just doing it’s thang. It’s not sleeping thang. It’s processingeverythingandworryingabouteverything thang. It’s super fun. If you haven’t slept only 2 hours and 45 minutes then followed it with writing a blog post and filming 30 movements for your next fitness program, I highly recommend giving it a try. It’s exhilarating. And by exhilarating, I mean you’re not completely sure if the sky is up or down and it’s hard to nail down your own name. Exhilarating. Anywho, filler sounds really great right now. I won’t be getting it, but I will be daydreaming about it.
While I contemplate about under eye filler that I’ll put off for far too long, can I just talk about the show I got into this morning at 3:45am when bed was no longer an option? Trash tv. It’s been a while since I watched trash tv. When my life feels too busy, I find that I have to watch the same show over and over and over again because it keeps my anxiety low (New Girl since The Office is no longer on Netflix). But this morning I felt calm, meaning comatose, enough to try something new. So I watched My Unorthodox Life. I’ve been quite intrigued by the Orthodox Jewish religion ever since I watched the show Unorthodox, based off the autobiography of Deborah Feldman, who left the community. As a person who did not grow up religious or spiritual, I find every religion quite interesting. All the differences, all the rules, all the double standards. It’s all so intriguing. Now this Netflix reality show has me all kinds of sucked in. Will I forget about it by tomorrow and move my way back to New Girl? Absolutely. But for today, it was hella interesting.
Well, that’s all I have to say about that. Please excuse all spelling and grammatical errors today. Hopefully tomorrow includes 8-hours-of-sleep-Juli who is just ready to proofread like a MF.Print
Fish Taco Bowls
- Author: juli
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4-5 servings 1x
For the rice
- 1 cup rice (arborio, jasmine, etc.)*
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
For the pickled onions
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- pinch of black pepper
For the cod
- 1lb cod, cut into 4–5 filets
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the cabbage slaw
- 1/4 head of purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon honey
- pinch of salt
For the remaining garnishes
- Place rice, water, garlic powder, and salt in an instant pot. Close lid and press the rice function. This will set the instant pot to around 10-12 minutes on high pressure. Once the instant pot is done cooking, let the pressure naturally release while you cook the rest of the dish, this will make for super fluffy rice. OR you can quick release and the rice will be just as good!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place a rack on top of a baking sheet and spray with avocado oil spray to ensure the fish doesn’t stick.
- Add all the ingredients for the pickled onions to a bowl, mix together, and set aside.
- Pat cod dry. In a shallow bowl, whisk together an egg. In another shallow bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, chili powder, paprika, salt, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Dip each piece of cod into the egg mixture to completely coat the cod, then add it to the breadcrumb mixture, coating the cod on all sides. Place on the rack on top of the baking sheet. Repeat with all filets. Place in the oven on the top rack to bake for 8-10 minutes (this time will range depending on the thickness of the cod – if it’s on the thinner side, it will take about 8-10 minutes, if it’s thick, it will take anywhere between 13-18 minutes).
- While the cod bakes, add all the ingredients for the slaw to a large bowl and mix until combined. Set aside.
- Once rice is done cooking and cod is done baking, you can build your bowls – rice on the bottom topped with cod, cabbage slaw, pickled onions, avocado, cilantro, add some chips on the side along with extra lime wedges, and top the whole thing with chili lime crema!
*If you want to keep it paleo, you can make cauliflower rice instead in a pan instead of in the instant pot
What I Used To Make This Recipe:
You May Also Like:
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
This post contains some affiliate links and I may be compensated, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running! Thank you for all your support!
Oh, Hi! I’m Juli.
DON’T MISS A BITE
discounts, and stories straight to your inbox for FREE!