I just can’t even with this ham. I love this ham with all my heart. Because it’s so damn easy to make and then it tastes like you tried really hard. But you didn’t really. It’s the best. If you’re wondering what to make Christmas day or whatever holiday you celebrate, this should be on your list. Unless you don’t eat ham, then that’s just a bummer.
Have you guys watched the show ‘How To Get Away With Murder’? I was home by myself all weekend so I decided to find a new show to watch by myself and came across it on Netflix. Instantly hooked. I think I’ve watched 8 episodes in 48 hours. I watched it while I cooked, while I typed up recipes, while I cleaned, and while I cuddled Jackson. I keep having creepy dreams because of it, but it’s so worth it.
Speaking of dreams, wanna know a secret? Since my fiancé was out of town, I let Jackson sleep in bed with me one night. That’s my dog, just FYI. He always sleeps next to our bed on the floor, but he’s just so dang cute and cuddling with him is the best when I don’t have my main squeeze in bed. He’s cute until you get in bed with him. He’s a furnace. And I’m already a furnace in the first place. And he kept kicking me. And pushing me towards the edge of the bed. I slept probably 2 hours and then had to get up at 5am to work at the gym. And then I smelled like dog. And fell asleep sitting up during the middle of the day. How do you people with dogs sleep with them every night? Doesn’t that ruin your love life? I just don’t get it. Jackson and his stanky hot self will have to remain on the floor from now on.
Are you hosting the holidays at your house this year? What are you making? We are and I think I’m going to make this ham. Because it’s stupid easy. Then make something on the smoker like a couple stuffed chickens. Then a couple side dishes and some sort of dessert, like my flourless chocolate cake from Juli Bauer’s Paleo Cookbook. And then I’m gonna put snacks around the house like homemade candied nuts and gluten free chocolate covered pretzels because I’m obsessed with those right now and I’m cutting myself off after Christmas day. Need to shovel it in as quickly as possible before the season ends. #sugaraddictedatthemoment
- 1 ready-to-eat, cooked ham, bone-in, shank end or butt end, around 8-10 pounds (or heavier, if you prefer)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
For the rub
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
For the glaze
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon fish sauce
- zest of 1/2 an orange (about 1/2 tablespoon of zest)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 navel oranges, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place the ham in a roasting pan then rub the maple syrup all over the ham. Mix together the rub mixture then rub the spice mixture all over the ham, letting some of the rub drop between the slices. Cover with foil then place in the oven to cook for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- When the ham has 30 minutes left to cook, place a large saute pan over medium heat and add in all the ingredients for the glaze. Whisk to combine then let reduce for 25-30 minutes, stirring every couple minutes to keep from sticking to the bottom. Once the mixture comes to a low boil and reduces by ⅓ (and coats the back of the spoon) remove from heat.
- When the ham is done cooking, remove the foil the use a brush to brush on half the orange glaze on top of the ham, covering the entire ham with the glaze.
- Increase oven heat to 400 degrees F, place a few toothpicks through the ham to keep from unfolding during the final baking, place the orange halves around the ham, then place in the oven to bake for 30 more minutes.
- Once ham has browned on the outside, take out of the oven then brush once more with the remaining glaze.
- Feel free to squeeze a splash of extra orange juice from the cooked oranges on top of the ham.
More Orange Glazed Food…Because It’s My Favorite:
Make & Serve This Dish With:
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
I may be compensated through my affiliate links in this post, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running!
Holiday / Pork