Before I started eating paleo, I never ate meatloaf. It wasn’t something my mom ever made. And I sure wasn’t going to make a loaf of meat myself when I was in college. If I made toad in a hole for every single meal, I was doing pretty good. But meatloaf? Gross.
But nowadays, I’ve come to love meatloaf. And it’s come to love me. I have all sorts of meatloaf recipes now like my Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf or my Bacon Chorizo Chipotle Smothered Meatloaf and my Mexican Meatloaf, and all are incredibly satisfying and filling in the best sort of way. It’s like getting a full meal in one slice. But the thing that sucks about meatloaf is it takes forever to bake. And you usually want a side dish with it which takes even more time to cook up. BUT NOT ANYMORE. This meal is made completely in the instant pot and it couldn’t be easier.
Along with the invention of The Bachelor and podcasts about true crime, the instant pot is one of the best inventions of our generation. It’s so damn easy and versatile and it tastes so much damn better than a slow cooker! And don’t get me wrong, I still love my slow cooker, but sometimes it cooks like an old man, instead of a millennial. Whatever the hell that means. I’m sorry to all the old men I just offended. All 2 that read this. Hi Dad! I just didn’t sleep last night from a wicked bad stomach ache so I’ve been up since 1am. You can’t trust any restaurants nowadays!
Speaking of old men, my husband has officially taken up the old man sport – Golf. He’s a golfer. He played 36 rounds over the weekend then we went to a driving range for a quick date night on Sunday. I missed so many balls in a row that I was beginning to get a cramp in my back and a blister, so I threw the towel in early. Crushed it. And now he’s planning a trip to Arizona in the winter with DA BOYZ. He’s so into it. Which is completely cool with me because he stopped caring about football. I haven’t seen football on in so long, other than quickly checking the score. He doesn’t care. It’s so awesome. And surprisingly, I would much rather have golf on than football. Which makes no sense. Golf is so incredibly boring. BUT there are a handful of guys who know how to lift and dress themselves so they aren’t too bad on the eyes. Football covers everything up with pads, but golf’s stupid polos show if someone takes care of themselves. So I’m pro golf. Less football = a happier wife. Happy wife, happy life.
I sound like such a b*tch today. Sorry again. It’s the 4 inches of snow in Colorado and the stomach ache that continues to linger. Check back in tomorrow and I should be less b*tchy. Probably not, but maybe!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 small sweet onion, minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes
- 1 cup bone broth
For the sweet & spicy sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the broiler
- 2 tablespoons melted ghee
- pinch of sea salt
For the garnish
- sliced green onions
- In a large bowl, use your hands to mix together beef, pork, garlic, onion, pepper, herbs, almond flour, ketchup, mustard, egg, salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper until completely combined.
- Use a sharp knife to poke a hole in every fingerling potato. Place the basin inside the instant pot then add the fingerling potatoes in the bottom. Pour 1 cup of bone broth on top of the potatoes along with a pinch of salt then place the instant pot rack on top of potatoes (the rack that comes with the instant pot).
- Place two long pieces of foil on top of each other (like a plus sign) then place the meatloaf mixture in the middle and shape into a loaf that will fit inside the instant pot. Roll up the sides of the foil to create a basket shape holder around the meatloaf then place in the instant pot on top of the rack.
- Secure the lid, close off the pressure valve, turn on and press manual to high pressure and press the up button until the time hits 30 minutes. The instant pot will have to come to pressure then the time will begin.
- While meatloaf cooks, turn on the broiler. Then, place all ingredients for the sweet & spicy sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat and let reduce for 10-15 minutes, until thick and darker in color.
- Once the time is up, quick release by turning the valve slowly to vent for a few seconds before opening up the vent completely. Once it is done venting, the float valve will drop.
- Remove meatloaf and place on a baking sheet. Then strain the potatoes from the liquid and place on the baking sheet with meatloaf. Brush melted ghee on top of the potatoes and sprinkle with salt. Then brush on 1/2 the sweet & spicy sauce on top of the meatloaf. Place meatloaf and potatoes under the broiler for 5 minutes.
- Top meatloaf with green onions, slice and serve alongside the crispy fingerling potatoes and the extra sauce on the side.
More Instant Pot Favorites:
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
I may be compensated through my affiliate links in this post, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running!
Beef / Instant Pot / Pork