Before a few years ago, my hair STRUGGLED. It was brittle, it never grew, and it was pretty thin. It wasn’t until I met my amazing hair stylist Keri Smiley at Salon 695 in Denver that my hair finally began to grow, thicken and feel completely different. Today I wanted to share some of the products that I use on my hair every week, along with some supplements that have helped tremendously. My hair isn’t the most fantastic hair out there by any means, but I can promise you that it has come a LONG way in the past couple years.
First up – Collagen. If you’re not taking collagen daily, start today! This is the number one item that has completely transformed my hair. In case you don’t know much about collagen, it’s a protein (I sometimes use it in place of protein powder) that supports hair, nails, skin and joints. And for me, collagen makes my hair GROW. It took about 6 months of adding it to my coffee every single morning before I really noticed the difference, but now I’ll never turn back! My hair is stronger, my nails are stronger, and I know I’m helping out my skin longterm. These are my three favorite brands of collagen below. I use all three of them and don’t have a specific preference. They are all great and I don’t notice the taste in my coffee whatsoever.
The other product I’ve been loving lately is Phyto. I recently experienced a small patch of hair loss so my hair stylist made me an appointment with a Phyto specialist to look at the hair loss spot with a crazy intense camera. When using this camera, she can tell if the follicle is completely dead (permanent hair loss) or if the loss was caused by something else. She asked if I had experienced a major stressor in my life and when I couldn’t think of anything, someone from my podcast reminded me that my little pup almost passed away in December. Huge stressor – I’m guessing that was the cause. Now I’m using Phyto products to stimulate new hair growth and I now take their Phytophanère supplement. This supplement is rich with biotin plus essential B vitamins to boost keratin production and create fuller, thicker & shinier hair!
Now when it comes to actually caring for the hair itself, let’s be real here – I don’t wash my hair that often. I’m proud of myself if I wash it twice in a week. Here’s the thing…I work from home, for myself, by myself. So I could really care less about washing my hair, especially when I know I’m just going to work out the next day and ruin it. Ain’t nobody got time for that. I’m also naturally blonde and dye my hair every 3 weeks, so the last thing I want to do is wash more of the color out. To survive my sweaty workouts that leave my hair 80% drenched, I do a few things to help keep the appearance that I have my life together –
- I take my hair out of a ponytail right after I finish my workout to let it air dry.
- Sure, this can be annoying and disgusting, but this helps limit the salt build up in my hair, leading to less breakage.
- I limit how often I put my hair in a bun, during a workout or after.
- For me, wearing a bun regularly leads to breakage, crazy dents, and a psycho callick that takes months tame and finally get rid of.
- I use Living Proof Dry Shampoo AT NIGHT.
- This is a game changer. My stylist recommended this and it makes all the difference. You wake up with less greasy hair and you don’t have to deal with trying to get the excess white out.
Now for the days that I actually wash my hair, I ALWAYS use these products below –
- I’m currently using Phyto shampoo and conditioner to help with hair growth, but once the hair grows back, I’ll go back to using my favorite Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Shampoo & Conditioner because I just love how it makes my hair feel and smell!
- After I shampoo and condition, I use Unite 7Seconds Detangler because it makes your hair so soft and smooth. It just adds a little extra conditioner to your hair without weighing it down.
- Then I spray Living Proof Full Root Lifting Spray in it since my hair doesn’t have much volume. I LOVE how this makes my hair smell and it gives it a great texture with volume.
- I also love to add Aveda Thickening Tonic and Volumizing Tonic to make sure I get as much volume as possible.
- Then I smooth out my ends with Unite Argan Oil. This repairs, seals and protects the hair from all the damage you’re about the apply to it through blowdrying and curling.
Once everything is slathered on, I blow dry then style it using the T3 Wand (which is currently 15% off!!). I tried this wand almost a year ago when my friend had it on a trip and I immediately fell in love with it. It’s expensive, but I LOVE it. And if I want to hold the curl a little more, I really like Living Proof PHD Body Builder because you can adjust the spray depending if you want an airy spray or tight hold.
If you have any favorite hair products you swear by, PLEASE share them below! I’m always looking for new products and suggestions! And if you do one thing today, GO TAKE YOUR COLLAGEN!
This post contains some affiliate links and I may be compensated, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running! Thank you for all your support!