Pumpkin Pie Cookie Crisp
This dessert is dangerous. It’s sitting in my fridge right now calling my name and I keep going back to it for a little nibble…I mean bite..I mean slice…ok, I mean whole pan. And it’s especially calling my name because my husband is staying away from sugar right now so there is even more for me to dig into. Dangerous waters over here, guys. I need to take some to my neighbors ASAP.
My husband has been dealing with some pretty bad overall body issues lately. Headaches, migraines, stomach aches, restless sleep and sometimes complete insomnia. And he couldn’t figure it out because he eats pretty damn clean. You’ve seen what I eat – he eats the same. So he finally got fed up with it and went online to find the best food allergy test and came across this one. I talked about it on my instagram stories yesterday and had so many messages and couldn’t keep up, so I thought I would just put all the information here in case you are having issues and wanted to find someone to get these tests done. Once he took a blood test, he got his results back and it gives you a HUGE breakdown of all your sensitivities and how sensitive you are to those items. So it could be moderate or it may be high. And once he found out all of his allergies, he was able to start figuring out why he felt worse on some days compared to others.
And he was SO surprised with some of his allergies. I was too. Our bodies are so weird. It ranged from chicken, to eggs, broccoli, green olives, oranges, cinnamon, pork and aspergillus mix which includes anything with sugar so fermented foods, alcohol, and then fungi like mushrooms, peanuts (which can hold mold) and a ton of other stuff. It also gives you the breakdown of when you may see the side effects take place. Some are 24 hours after ingesting and some don’t show up until 72 hours later. It’s bananas.
So now we are figuring out a whole new diet for him to stick with strictly for 6 weeks to see it he feels better and some of these issues clear up. Then he’ll be able to add some of those items back in and see how he feels. It’s quite interesting that you can think you’re eating so healthy by eating something as simple as chicken or oranges and they can actually be really f*cking up your body. Dumb bodies.
And just FYI in case you’re wondering more about this test, he had to do it out of pocket and it’s definitely an investment. It ain’t cheap. But it’s going to be COMPLETELY worth it if he finally feels better. And I’m so excited to hopefully have an answer for him. Fingers crossed it works and he can eat pumpkin pie with me again in the future! Until then, it’s beef, green veggies, and potatoes for him!
Pumpkin Pie Cookie Crisp
For the filling:
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree
- 1 cup canned coconut milk*
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or maple sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- pinch of salt
For the toppings:
- 1 cup paleo toasted pecan cookies
- 1 cup pecans
- 4 tablespoons cold grass-fed butter or ghee or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or maple sugar
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a cute pie dish.
- In a food processor or blender, add pumpkin, coconut milk, eggs, coconut sugar, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice and salt and puree until smooth. Pour batter into the cute pie dish.
- Place the cute pie dish in the oven to bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F. Then turn down oven to 350 degrees F and bake for 40 minutes.
- Once the pie has 5 minutes left, pulse together cookies, pecans, coconut sugar, butter, and salt in a food processor until the cookie and pecans are broken down into small pieces.
- Pour the toppings onto the pie then place back in the oven for 12-15 more minutes, until fragrant and pecans have browned a bit.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes then cover with foil and place in the fridge for 2 or more hours
- Once completely cool, scoop with a large spoon (no perfect pumpkin pie slices for this pie) and top with coconut whipped cream.
*I blended my coconut milk before measuring. This mixes the cream and water that tend to separate in the can.
More Pumpkin Pie Ideas!
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
I may be compensated through my affiliate links in this post, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running!
Oh, Hi! I’m Juli.
DON’T MISS A BITE
discounts, and stories straight to your inbox for FREE!