So I made this recipe a while back when I was going through one of my baking spurts. Civilized Caveman has some fantastic recipes, especially when it comes to baked goods!! Sometimes I just feel the need to bake and create sweet treats, and then pawn them off on other people since I ate half the batter in the process. The baked treats aren’t my weakness, the paleo batter on the other hand ignites my naughty side. I usually have fingers covered in batter…and saliva. Gross.
These cake brownie thingies were created for one of my best friends, Jimmy. Not only is this guy a stud when it comes to his jobs, CrossFit, AND school (he just graduated!!), but he is a PHENOMENAL cook. Remember how I recently mentioned in the ‘What I ate over the weekend post‘ that I only surround myself with people who love food as much as I do…well, Jimmy is one of those people. Our relationship seems to be built around food. No I don’t think you really understand…unless you’ve been around the two of us at the gym and wondered why the hell we look like we are having the most deep conversation anyone has ever had, and come to find out we are talking about pork and sweet potatoes, you really don’t get our relationship. Him and I could chat about recipes for hours upon hours during the day. And we do. And then we fill the other 20 hours with sending picture messages of our food to each other. It’s like food sexting. And we’re hella good at it. Jimmy inspires many of my recipes; he’s one creative son-of-a-b. In a good way, of course.
- 1 cup Dark Chocolate Chips (65% or more) or Enjoy Life Chips
- ½ cup canned full fat coconut milk
- 1¼ cups almond flour
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt chocolate and coconut milk in a small sauce pan over low heat.
- Once the chocolate is completely melted, remove from the heat.
- Add the chocolate and coconut milk to a mixing bowl, add in the eggs and mix well.
- Now add in the almond flour, baking powder, and sea salt.
- Next add in the shredded coconut and continue to mix.
- Great an 8×8 baking dish with an oil of your choice (coconut oil).
- Pour batter into the baking dish then sprinkle with ½ cup of sliced almond over the top of the cake.
- Get a small handful of shredded coconut and sprinkle over the top of the cake as well.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
Grocery List Helper:
- Almond Flour: Vitamin Cottage for $5.99-$7.99/or buy online!
- Dark Chocolate Chips: I usually buy in bulk wherever I am at, but i’ve been loving the 365 Dark Chocolate Chunks at Whole Foods. Bomb. Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips can be found at Whole Foods also. These seriously taste SUPER good. Get them!
- Sliced almonds: bought in bulk at Whole Foods–you can buy the exact amount you need.
- Shredded coconut: bought in bulk at Whole Foods–way cheaper than buying an actual brand!!
- Coconut milk: 365 brand for $1.19/can
- Eggs: cage free from Sunflower Market