Waffles are just the most comforting breakfast item around. When we were in Bali and completely exhausted from all of our travel and hiking a mountain at 3:30am, we decided to order in our food instead of actually leaving our house. And a place called Motion Cafe had paleo choices and other fun things on their menu…like protein waffles. So we ordered these protein waffles that were topped with homemade peanut butter and sautéed apples and they were OUT OF THIS WORLD. They were perfection! We ended up ordering from them a couple times because it was just so good. We never actually stepped foot into the restaurant because eating from the comfort of your own Airbnb couch is just more appealing. Just FYI, I put peanut butter on my waffles because all other nut butter makes me feel like dog crap, but you can use whatever you prefer. Peanut butter just takes better, plain and simple, but you do you baby boo!
So I’m currently in Savannah, GA for the first time in my life, lying in bed truly not wanting to get out of it. I think it may be the most comfortable bed I’ve ever experienced. I’m staying at The Perry Lane Hotel and let me tell you something…it’s fantastic. I love a hotel that gives a sh*t. They serve you champagne the moment you walk in, they have frosé on their rooftop every night, and they have a giant gym. I really want to see my dog and husband again, but this bed has really taken ahold of me. I may never leave. Today I was suppose to head out for a morning kayak tour and I’m surprisingly pumped it was cancelled…because now I can just stroll the adorable streets of Savannah then head back to my room at any time to let the bed take me. It’s a little weird how attracted I am to this bed. It’s just been a solid two weeks of not sleeping because of jetlag and this bed changed all that! I’m in love.
Wait, I need to know something. I need to know if this is normal here in Savannah. So yesterday I drove from Charleston to Savannah down what I believe is the Savannah highway and noticed a dead gator on the side of the road. At least it looked dead. But since gators are pretty much dinosaurs that walk this earth and already look dead since they are ugly AF, he could have been alive. Is this a thing here? We have dead squirrels in Denver, sometimes deer as you get closer to the mountains. But alligators? Nope. No thank you. For some reason I thought only gators came out to play in Florida because everything FU happens in Florida, but I didn’t think about Georgia. And then I felt really bad for the dinosaur. Gators don’t give AF so he probably walked into the road ready to live his best life and go wherever he damn well pleased and that’s what happened. Is this how things go in Georgia? RIP Gaty. We loved you. Not really, but someone had to. RIP.
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 3 large eggs, whisked
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 cup tapioca flour (or arrowroot powder)
- 1 cup Vanilla Protein Powder*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
For the apple pie toppings
- 2 tablespoons ghee, butter or coconut oil
- 3 honeycrisp apples, diced
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- nut butter of choice
- maple syrup
- Whisk together applesauce, eggs, vanilla extract, and coconut oil.
- Add tapioca flour and whisk until combined. Then add protein powder and whisk again to combine. Lastly, add baking soda, cinnamon and a pitch of salt and mix well.
- Pour batter into a greased hot waffle iron and cook until crispy. Be patient. Mine took less than 5 minutes per waffle. Repeat with the rest of the batter. My batter made 6 round waffles.
- While the waffles cook, add fat to a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the apples and cook until soft, about 5-6 minutes. Then add syrup, vanilla, and cinnamon. Toss to coat.
- Top each waffle with your nut butter of choice, sautéed apples and extra maple syrup on top, before serving!
Waffles Are Better Than Pancakes:
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
This post contains some affiliate links and I may be compensated, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running! Thank you for all your support!
Breakfast / Fruit