Blueberry Chai Ice Cream (plus winners of the Well Fed Cookbook)
So the week of Lake Powell posts are coming to a close. I know, I know, I’m sad too. But I have to get back to reality and start posting about my lack of love life, CrossFit competitions coming up (like tomorrow) and new found love for plantains and plantain chips. I’m a bit obsessed. BUT SOMETHING BIG NEEDS TO BE TALKED ABOUT!! The winners of the Well Fed Cookbook. I have TWO to give out and I’m very excited to announce the winners!
Here they are!! Stephanie R. and Lane! If that’s your name so you think it’s you, make sure to wait for an email. Or you may be very disappointed when a book doesn’t show up at your doorstep. But keep checking your email because I will be sending you an email asking for you address!! Yay! Thank you for everyone who commented on the blog and checked out Melissa’s blog! You all are awesome! Keep paleo-ing it up!
Now let’s talk about Lake Powell to end this last post. I really need to get through this Post Powell Depression. I have a competition tomorrow and next weekend and I’m slightly injured from my jumping-off-moving-boats stupidity. Next year, I plan on doing less stupid things and more drinking. I know that seems like a catch-22 and you probably think I’m an alcoholic from the stories I shared and the pictures I posted, but I really didn’t drink a ton. Only one night did I drink like a sailor and was a b*tch like a prom queen. Next year I’ll just drink like a sailor and curse like one too. That’s my nature anyways.
So even though I’m slightly injured and look like a train wreck (a leathery tan one), I still was able to get in 3 workouts while I was in Powell. We left Tuesday night so I worked out Tuesday morning at the gym then rested Wednesday, worked out Thursday, Friday, and Saturday then rested on Sunday when we headed back home. I know you care about all this, but 2 people asked, so I explain. The workouts were pretty damn simple because I needed a break from lifting heavy and mostly just wanted to keep my motor going. They weren’t original nor did I mix it up. But I didn’t care. I was did over 100 burpees while still intoxicated most of the time. Suck it. So here they are.
- Thursday: 100 burpees then squat cleans with the biggest rock I could lift and hold on to
- Friday: 115 burpees then 3×10 front squats with the rock
- Saturday: 125 burpees then 4 rounds: 10 front squats with the rock and 10 push ups
That was the most boring paragraph I’ve had all week. Moving on.
So there were a couple things that I see as the best part of the trip. I’ll list them off.
- One day I woke up and felt a little bit of cabin fever setting in, so I grabbed a paddle board and set out onto the lake. Our houseboat was back in this little channel (I have no idea what it’s called) so I just started paddling away onto even more channels (still don’t know what it’s called). I would paddle then get bored of paddling so I would just lie down on my stomach to tan my butt then on my back so I could stare up at the awesome rocks. Then I would paddle again. At some point, my friend Jeff met up with me and we paddled back into this little dead end channel, did a little cliff jump, then just laid there for probably a good hour. I may be exaggerating, but time don’t mean sh*t in Powell. I probably spent a good 2-3 hours out on the paddleboard just moseyin’ along. It was awesome. I couldn’t stop smiling about how quiet it was, how gorgeous it was, and how happy I was.
- Then one day we decided it was going to be a day we ALL spent out on the water. A lot of us would split up and do our own thing during the day, but that day was going to be spent as friends forever. So we loaded the boat with as much alcohol as possible (understand one thing-we ran out of ice at this point so that meant all of the beers were pretty warm…and vodka…and whiskey) and took off into this little cave thing. We called it the bat cave. I saw bat. A dead one actually. And we hung out there all day. Some of us hiked and cliff jumped and some just held down the fort with music on repeat and drunken dance moves. It was awesome. We had three boats back in this crevice which were filled with people just hanging out and watching other play drinking games. It was just happy times out on the water. So awesome. So fun. This is kind of what it looked like.
- I did back flips off the wakeboard boat. I love feeling like a kid again, on a diving board, being a dumbass and doing tricks that aren’t really tricks at all. I LOVE that feeling. Growing up is silly.
- Oh, and something that wasn’t exactly fun but a good experience was going #2 on land. It sucks. Toilets are incredibly helpful. Thanks for reading my blog up until this point. I wonder how many complaint emails I’ll get for that comment.
Blueberry Chai Ice Cream
- 1 (14oz) can coconut milk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 chai tea bags (I used Tazo tea brand), tea removed from tea bag-do not consume the tea bag
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Place all ingredients in a saucepan and place under medium heat. Let cook down and flavors mix for about 10 minutes under some of your blueberries have exploded and you have a deep purple color.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Place mixture in a food processor or blender and puree until blueberries are broken down.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker
- Scoop. Eat. Be merry for paleo ice cream.
You May Also Like:
Blueberry Lavender Jam Ice Cream
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
I may be compensated through my affiliate links in this post, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running!
Oh, Hi! I’m Juli.
DON’T MISS A BITE
discounts, and stories straight to your inbox for FREE!
38 thoughts on “Blueberry Chai Ice Cream (plus winners of the Well Fed Cookbook)”
Holy shit this looks amazing!!! I just discovered the coconut milk ice cream with no added sugar. Something tells me it’s still bad to eat this by the pint….. but none the less, no sugar!
Will be stealing my moms ice cream maker this weekend so I can make this. Don’t tell her.
Wait you found coconut milk ice cream without added sugar?! All I’ve found is SO Delicious and it has agava nectar which I’m trying to avoid. I would love to here what other kinds people have found and if there really are unsweetened ones?
I have found SO Delicious no sugar added at Whole Foods, but it still has erythritol, which I’m trying to avoid but I figure it’s still a better treat than the pint of Ben & Jerry’s I would’ve had in the past 🙂
Just make it at home… It’ll be the best ice cream you’ve ever had. http://www.neanderbar.com/2012/06/coconut-milk-dry-ice-cream/
JB, I am on day 5 of the 21 DSD and this is making my mouth WATER!. Dumb. I really should have done it at the SAME TIME as you.
hahaha hang in there! make my stuffed apples!
do you remove the tea bags before you blend? i am thinking yes… ?? i know what you are thinking: there is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people. sorry for that.
hahaha definitely an important note. i’ll add that now.
Totally jealous of your trip! Happy you had fun. Good luck tomorrow. Don’t be depressed. Can’t wait to try the recipe, it’s beautiful!
Must. Get. Ice cream. Maker.
I’m SAVED!!! I’m halfway through the whole30, I haven’t cheated at all (it’s kind of a miracle with the myriad of family functions and weddings I’ve attended in the last two weeks) but i’m about ready to kill somebody for some ice cream!!!! BAH! Anyway- Juli thank you THANK YOU THANK YOU. My CF team thanks you too- 1 point closer to the win!
(IN true CF spirit we made Whole30 a competition)
poop… no honey… oh well
That frisbee game with the hot guys is called Beersbee when i’ve played it.
We call that game Polish Horseshoes…I figured there were probably a bunch of names for it!
Ha! Funny, my husband and his friends call it wicker wackett
I was reading your post in bed and literally laughed out loud when I read your “do not consume.” freaking hilarious!
Holy hell you have a bangin’ body. That ice-cream looks amazing too.
You look amazing! So do your friends. And the ice cream. To the store for berries.
Hey, that’s me! 🙂 The caves and cliffs are beautiful and all, but if I’m being honest, the picture I stopped on was the butt in the blue and black shorts. Oops!
P.S. Thank you again!
his is the best
Me too! His back was great too… every man should look like that from behind!
Yep, me too. Hello there Mr. man with the butt in the shorts….thank you Juli!
Juli, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog!!!!!!!!!!!!! That’s all I can tell ya!!! Oh, and I just completed my second week of CrossFit and I am freakin’ hooked! 🙂
I’ve been waiting for an ice cream recipe. I’m so excited to try this tomorrow. I’ll also be looking for a crossfit gym in a month so maybe one day I’ll have abs like yours.
Beersbie!! I love that game! Though I have never played it with guys with as nice of shoulders as those guys though….le sigh.
Glad you had an amazing time on your vacation!
I’m soooooooooooooo going to make this! Um, nice abs! Hey I’m doing my first crossfit competion in Bozeman, MT this weekend. I’m super excited!
What’s your favorite type of food to take to a competition?
leftovers, sweet potatoes, and coconut water!
I have never been to Lake Powell…it is beautiful. I could see my self relaxing and having a great time. The ice cream recipe looks awesome can’t wait to try it.
Yum. Another recipe that further drives my desire to buy an ice cream maker. One day, one day.
Great write up on Again Faster’s site, by the way, really hit home!
Word. Definitely inspiration to get an ice cream maker.
To make like a bear, it’s best to squat just above parallel,
Ahhh Beersbee! That game is ridiculous. And impossible, but its awesome lol.
You’re possibly one of my most favorite people in all the land. And I don’t even know you! Ha!
The cutest bloggs you find here. Love it! You have great energy and you make me laugh. Waiting for the next one 😉
In your cookbook, keep things like “DO NOT CONSUME TEA BAG” in there. it’s funny and i laugh.
Just made this and LOVED it! I only used 1 chai tea bag just to make sure it wasn’t too spicy for my kids. They loved it too! First time I’ve used my ice cream machine since starting Paleo 8 months ago!
Jeeez Juli, this stuff tastes like unicorns pooping sprinkles and rainbows (that’s a good thing). I think I might be a little bit in love with you. I hope that’s ok.
P.S. You know so many hot dudes, I wanna come train with you! Why are there so many good looking crossfit guys, when they are never single – whoever is in charge up there is surely mocking us? I only ever meet men who are taken or who are absolute douche canoes. Gah!
Very good recipe! I made it as called to make sure it would turn out. I have some precious little huckleberries that I want to use for a crossfit gathering and will be making this ice-cream for them. Thank you so much for the blog.
Huckleberry ice cream in the machine, I seriously wanted to drink the mix, it smells so good. I wish I could post ‘food porn’ pictures for you all!