Just the other day my husband, my sister-in-law, and I all road bikes to a restaurant we all love. And I decided to go crazy and have one cocktail that night. So I ordered a paloma…it was truly the worst drink I’ve ever tasted. The bartender was a guy who didn’t know how to stop talking and pay attention to the task at hand, and therefore he made the worst drink in the history of the world. And I was pissed. Not only did I waste money ordering that crap ass drink, but I wasted a sip. So I took that anger the next day to create this paloma that I could be proud of and actually enjoy. And I looooove it. It’s so damn good. I’m thinking I should remake this recipe today and bike back down to that restaurant with the paloma in hand and introduce him to what a paloma SHOULD taste like. Then demand my $10 and 10 calories back.
There are a couple things you need to know about this recipe before you make it –
- It uses agave. I KNOW I KNOW, people freak out about agave since it’s a processed sugar. I get it. But alcohol is poison and they somehow aren’t complaining about that soooooo. You can use any type of sugar you’d like that will make you feel better about yourself, but you’re still drinking poison. Really delicious poison, that is.
- This recipe also uses a chile lime seasoning. You can use whatever chile lime seasoning you like or make your own! I use Tajín and absolutely love it!
- When you’re making this recipe, don’t buy grapefruit juice – juice the grapefruits yourself! It makes all the difference. Use a citrus juicer to juice the giant grapefruits in seconds. In one of my favorite kitchen tools that makes drinks so damn tasty in the summertime!
Sorry for the endless amount of photos for these drinks but they were just too beautiful to not share every single one! Little backstory about these black and white background you’re seeing in our photos – that is the same marble that we have on our new bathroom countertops (sharing a backroom reno recap tomorrow!). And if you’ve purchased any marble in the past, you know you have to purchase the entire slab. Well all we needed for our bathroom was a small countertop and foot stool in our shower, which meant we have a ton of leftover marble to use up. So I asked them if they would cut two 30×30 inch slabs that I could use for photo backgrounds. Guess how much each one weighs? 150 POUNDS!! They are so f*cking heavy which means they stay in the same place in my photo area, at all times. I was a little nervous they wouldn’t even get used but now I’m OBSESSED. I think the background is stunning, especially with beautiful drinks like these!
I’m seriously so excited for you to try this drink! Making drinks aren’t my strong suit, but this drink is solid! It’s one of those drinks you want to sip on a hot summer day, in the backyard, while the sprinklers are going and either your dogs and children (or both) are running through them. This would be an awesome drink for the 4th of July this week which is why I made it just in time! For me, I think this 4th of July will be spent working before I head to the Bahamas in a week! I may make another cocktail for the blog because DAMN, this one is good!! Hope you guys love it!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2 cups freshly squeezed ruby red grapefruit juice (juiced then strained) – about 4 grapefruits
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/3 cup agave nectar (or honey, date syrup, coconut nectar)
- 1 tablespoon chile lime seasonings* + extra for the rim of each glass
- ~6 ounces silver tequila (four 1.5 ounce shots)
- Juice grapefruits and lime then strain to remove any excess pulp.
- In a small saucepan, add the grapefruit juice mixture along with the agave and chile lime seasonings. Whisk together and bring to a low bowl. Remove from heat, pour in small pitcher and place in the fridge to cool completely, about 30 minutes depending on the container it’s cooling in.
- Once cool, squeeze lime juice on the rim of 4 highball glasses and coat in chile lime seasonings. Add ice to the very top of the glass, then pour in a shot of tequila into each glass. Top off the glass with the cool grapefruit mixture then add a metal straw to mix up before drinking it down!
*I used Tajín Chile Lime Seasonings
More Delicious Summer Cocktails:
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
This post contains some affiliate links and I may be compensated, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running! Thank you for all your support!
Oh, Hi! I’m Juli.
DON’T MISS A BITE
discounts, and stories straight to your inbox for FREE!