Holyballsholyballsholyballs. This week is going by SO fast and it’s only Tuesday. I’m freaking the tits out. I have shopping to do, phone calls and Skype calls to make, cooking to prep, appointments to attend, classes to coach, and workouts to sweat through…all before I jet set to Costa Rica then to Dallas. I’ve already mentioned this stuff in last weeks blog posts, but I’m seriously crapping my pants with nerves and anxiety. So much to do! Blahhhhhhhh!
Luckily, by Friday I’ll be in Costa Rica, sipping on a cocktail, eating plantains, and exploring all the sights with my husband. We are off to celebrate our 1 year anniversary of getting married in Jamaica! I can’t believe it’s already been a year. It’s seriously so insane how quickly it goes by! It was such an easy year and transition into married life, so I definitely can’t wait to see what year 2 brings. I’m hoping it brings more travel, but at the same time…a new puppy. We keep talking about getting a second dog, but I seem to always be out of town at this point. And I already dealt with the constant puppy pee stains (luckily not in my own house) and I’m not so sure I’m ready for that again. It’s just like how people have multiple kids…they forget how much it sucked when they were babies and crapped and cried everywhere…so they have more once they’ve forgotten. I’m not sure I want to be that kind of parent. I think my only child is quite content with his only child lifestyle. But AH, dogs are seriously the best!
Ok, let’s get real for a second. Let’s talk about alcohol. I feel like I do this speech every time I make a cocktail on the blog. So let’s get it out there. ALCOHOL IS NOT GOOD FOR YOU. It’s literally poison. But it’s socially acceptable poison so everyone thinks it’s ok. If you want to lose weight or heal your gut, stay away from alcohol. That being said, if you are going to drink alcohol, you might as well know EXACTLY what is going into it. Which is why I make cocktails!
And I know people truly love cocktails. I posted a picture of a beet cocktail on instagram last week while in Dallas and it got about 3x the likes as most of my food photos. Yeah, people like to drink. And I like a good cocktail while I’m traveling. But my husband loves a drink or two on the weekend and I would much rather him drink my own homemade mix then a mix filled with crap. So I created this! I thought I could hide the cilantro from him (he’s not a fan, sadly) but he definitely tasted it. So if you’re not a fan of cilantro, just leave it out. A lime mixer is just as delicious! But for real – drink less. Alcohol (aka sugar) is bad for you.
Are you totally annoyed with me now? I am. Being annoying is exhausting.
For the simple syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup raw honey (choose your favorite honey)
- zest of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup freshly squeeze lime juice
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
To make a cocktail
- 1-2 tablespoons simple syrup
- 2-3 tablespoons or shot glass of hard alcohol (vodka, tequila or gin are all great with this)
- soda/sparkling water
- lime wedges
- Place water, honey and lime zest in a small saucepan over medium heat and completely dissolve honey. Once mixture is completely combine, remove from heat and let cool. Add lime juice and stir to combine.
- Pour simple syrup in a container or jar that you can seal. Add the chopped cilantro, seal container and place in the fridge to cool overnight. Once cooled completely, strain the cilantro from the simple syrup. Store simple syrup in fridge.
- To make a cocktail, add ice to a cup, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of the simple syrup (depending how sweet you want your drink), 2-3 tablespoons of hard alcohol, then top the rest off with soda water and garnish with lime wedge and cilantro.
- *My favorite cocktail includes: muddle 3 pieces of jalapeño with the simple syrup, add tequila (jalapeño infused) and top with soda water and cilantro on top!
Cocktail Ideas and Mixes:
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
I may be compensated through my affiliate links in this post, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running!
Drinks / Party