Clean it up Mondays: Breakfast Meat Sauce
I can’t stop scratching. I can’t. I have been eaten alive by bugs over the weekend. Some mosquitos. But mostly biting flies. Since when do flies bite? Are they a different kind of fly? I don’t know, but what I do know is that when I was scratching my bites the other night, I ended up with open wounds then scabs that looked like I had been infected with a flesh eating virus. I was kind of feeaking out…for about 24 seconds. Then I just decided I should stop touching it. Instead, I found another bite to scratch. I’m miserable.
So I went to South Dakota over the weekend. It was a friends wedding reception. Remember when I went to Mexico for a wedding a few months ago? Well, the lovely couple invited a bunch of people down to stay at her family’s cabin since not everyone could make it to Mexico. It mostly gave all of us an excuse to forget about reality and spend some time on the lake.
So that’s what we did. We had a giant slumber party in the cabin, played music loudly, and ate a lot of chips. The two main staples in the house were chips and vodka. I hate how delicious chips are. So every night we would eat some dinner, make drinks that were entirely too strong, then try to fall asleep. The problem with slumber parties though, if you want to go to bed, you can’t. Because someone is probably dancing to Kelly Clarkson on your bed. And it’s probably a dude. Dudes don’t let you go to sleep if Kelly is wailing that voice of hers.
Here are some other things that went on in South Dakota other than eating chips and singing to good ole’ Kelly. There’s really not much else, but I’ll try.
- I told the group I really only had one day in me to drink, because I suck at drinking. And you know my feelings about it. So I drank the first day on the boat. Way too early. And fell asleep in the boat. Pretty sure I strained my neck. And I was bobbing in my bed later that night. I’m a terrible drinker.
- I saw a guy try to do a backflip off the kitchen counter and face plant into salsa instead.
- I watched a guy dance in a closet for at least 20 minutes.
- I saw a 3 legged dog.
- I ate clam dip that was stupid good and probably the worst snack ever for you, in the history of the world. Cool fact, huh?
- I went to Mount Rushmore and saw a guy who was there to help build it. You can imagine how old he is. Or do the math and figure it out. Either way, he was quite a bore. And a grump. He didn’t want to talk to you unless you bought his book. Which I was never going to do. So his exciting secrets about carving presidents faces into a mountain will forever be unknown to me.
- I made tissue paper flowers. If you are ever asked to help make those, don’t do it. Just don’t.
- I drove through Wyoming and wondered where the hell the population lives. No one is there.
- I got pelleted in the face with hail.
- I ate more chips.
That’s a good summary of my trip to South Dakota. It’s nice to be home. Mostly because road trips suck balls. Especially through Wyoming. Sorry Wyoming people, it’s just a fact. Anywho, let’s clean up from the weekend. With some delicious breakfast meat sauce. Okgreatcool.Print
Clean it up Mondays: Breakfast Meat Sauce
- Yield: 5-6 1x
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound ground pork breakfast sausage
- 1/2 pound ground pork mild italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 2 (14 ounce ) cans of tomato sauce
- ½ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 5–6 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat up a large saucepanover medium heat, add two tablespoons of coconut oil then add minced garlic cloves, then bell peppers and onion along with a little salt and pepper to the pan.
- Move vegetables around until onions become translucent.
- Add ground breakfast sausage and italian sausage to the saucepan and break up the meat.
- When meat has begun to cook through, add the spices.
- When meat is almost done cooking, pour in the two cans of tomato sauce.
- Salt and pepper once more, then reduce heat and let simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- When all the flavors are well mixed, add the chopped fresh basil.
- Place meat sauce in some sort of individual baking dish, use a spoon to press a small spot in the middle of the meat sauce, then crack an egg or two into the middle.
- Put in oven and cook for 8-10 minutes until egg is cooked to preference.
- Eat up!
You May Also Like:
5 Ingredient Egg-Free Shakshuka Breakfast Bowls
Huevos Rancheros Tostadas with Creamy Tomatillo Salsa
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
I may be compensated through my affiliate links in this post, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running!
Oh, Hi! I’m Juli.
DON’T MISS A BITE
discounts, and stories straight to your inbox for FREE!
38 thoughts on “Clean it up Mondays: Breakfast Meat Sauce”
I feel ya on the bug bites! I am highly allergic to mosquitoes. I take an antihistamine for mine so they will stop itching. Try it. you’ll be thankful you did.
I was in SD at Mount Rushmore this weekend also…..freaky!
haha, whyyyy did you not tape this backflip? the internet needs more videos of this! and thanks to your blog post, I am even more excited to go to Wyoming for a family reunion… -_-
This is perfect! I have been craving a meat sauce– yum!
A memorable weekend for ya none the less! Your point #2 (back flip/salsa) really made me laugh!! A great way to start the week 🙂
holy mother! I didn’t know meat sauce could get any better but that egg!! may I just say that you are the bees knees…THE BEES FREAKIN KNEES!!
You made me laugh so hard (and loud, even if a was at work) with the “other things that went on in South Dakota”. I really pictured the guy face planting into salsa.
Keep going, I read you everyday from Paris!
Where do you buy this beautiful pork breakfast sausage? I cannot locate and therefore cannot make so many of your items. Please advise?
us wellness meats
Omg I lived in Wyoming for a year! I understand!!!
“3.Move vegetables around…” lol! You did have a good weekend!
Thanks for letting me RE-live my 20’s through you! Good times…
I agree more pics would be nice for those of us whose 20’s is getting a little foggy from all that vodka we drank in our 20’s!
Vacation= Chips and salsa. No joke, on our vacation to hawaii a few weeks ago my husband and I ate an entire 3lb bag of chips and a tub of salsa over the course of a week. I had chips and salsa for breakfast one day. I was disgusted with myself…and proud.
Tomatoes give me acne 🙁
Sasquatch cream will stop the scratching.
Bug bites are the WORST! I always get eaten alive, day or night. Once I had 20+ bites up and down my legs just from weeding my garden for 30 min during the day, it was sheer misery! I’ve found that the pill form of Benadryl works well if you have a lot of bites. It will knock you the hell out, but it’ll be worth it! Plus use a cortizone cream (don’t use Benadryl cream/ gel with the pill)- you’ll be itch free! If you’re looking for a more natural itch relief, I’ve also had success with a paste of baking soda and water. It’s messy tho- need to put a band aid over the bite so the paste doesn’t flake off.
On another note, that sauce looks delish- I’d like to try it over some zoodles!
I used to live in NC and ALL flies around water bite. The fucking bite hard. They know how to coordinate thier flight, impact, and bites at the exact moment so that your failing arms miss while you are running. You cant outrun biting flies. Just quit…stop running and let them eat…
Oh yeah, I’m going to try this recipe 🙂
I went camping a couple weeks ago and came home with 53 bug bites, I feel your pain! It sounds like you had a great trip though.
Anything meaty and saucey is right up my alley, can’t wait to try this out!
Ok so first things first. I just got back from wedding week away. Feeling gross. Love clean it up Mondays. I need this all week long. I suck at cooking without recipes. Can’t do it. I swear to god Whole Foods is out of whatever I most need that day/week. For months they have not had breakfast sausage. Can you suggest a spice mix to just make my own? Thanks….love your blog and humor.
I always make my own breakfast sausage, it’s way better that way. I use lots of chopped fresh sage, a sprinkle of dried red pepper flakes, salt, paprika, sometimes allspice, and brown sugar if you’re into that. Sorry no measurements, I just take my best guess, throw the ground pork in the stand mixer with the spices and mix it, then I take a little dab and fry it up (or microwave but it tastes way worse) and taste to see if it’s ok. Usually I end up adding more of something. Then I cook some right away, and wrap the rest up in blobs that are enough for a breakfast for me and my husband and throw them in the freezer. I can’t remember the last time I bought sausage already made!
Is there some kind of trick to keeping the eggs from getting a rubbery texture? I haven’t tried this recipe yet, but every time I try to cook eggs in the oven they come out the texture of a chewy leather on top, even when they’re not cooked through. What am I doing wrong?!
I hate paper flowers!! Made several for my sisters wedding last year.
Run a metal spoon under hot water, and then press the hot spoon on your bug bites. The heat will release the histamines, which is what makes you feel itchy!
I feel for you on the bites… I am allergic to mosquitos and swell up when I get bitten. Try not to scratch – it really does make the irritation worse.
As for the recipe – looks delish.
Sorry have to defend WY just a bit, in one word and one place…. Jackson!!
Us Wyomingnites are there it just takes a while to find us ;)…and I <3 your blog hard, especially Clean Up Mondays!
Pork rinds are Paleo-friendly, and VERY good with salsa and guacamole. Use the crumbs to bread meats and fish.
I used your concept and my leftover sauce. It was super YUMMERS! The egg was sweet, which was weird but welcome. What a delicious way to have breakfast, without having to OD on greens for my veggies. Thx
You are so hilarious! Love reading your blogs.
This is basically Israeli shakshuka… but with sausage 😉 YUM!
Making this in a big baking dish for dinner. Yum. Leftovers for breakfast. Ps. You make me lol all the time. Love love your blog and recipes. 🙂
Juli this is amazing! Tastes like pizza. One of my new favorites because it’s so easy.
Would you give me an idea of what size pan to use if I made this as 1 big dish?
an 8×8 would work!!
I make this as one dish in an 8×8 pan with about 5 eggs cracked on top. I only use one can of tomato sauce because I found that 2 just makes it too soupy for my liking. I use this for a few days of breakfasts for my hubby and he loves it! As do I. 😉 You have been my life saver for my hubby’s 8 week paleo challenge! He is down 12lbs total and week are just starting week 6. He says he is feeling great two and he feels like he is performing better physically in his workouts. 🙂
Stupid nails and auto correct. They don’t make a great combo. Blah. Sorry for the typos and grammatical errors on my above post! I would fix them (because I am that OCD about it), but I don’t think I can edit a post.
One of my firsts and one of my fav’s. Cheers!
I miss this series! It’s still such a go-to for meals. Do you have a brand of Italian ground sausage that you like? I was disappointed to find that even Boulder Sausage Co. puts sugar in their Italian sausage.