Creamy Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
It’s soup season babyyyyyy. We had a 50 degree day the other day and I’m here for it. I’m in it. I’m craving soup. But I’m also craving ramen…which is also soup. Brian and I have this tradition that when it snows, we go out and get ramen. We both hate the snow so we might as well enjoy something when it snows. But we’re not quite there yet. So for now, I’m making chili on Monday night football nights, and making soup on random weeknights. Soup is underrated and undercelebrated. Let’s change that, ok? Cool.
Did I really just say ‘Monday night football nights’? What TF am I? I have a child and now I’m supporting a sport that drives me insane and I still deeply dislike? I guess so. Well here’s the thing – all of my husband’s family members are out here now. His sister moved here 10 years ago, his brother moved a year ago, and then his mom moved 6 months ago. So they are all here and most of them (luckily not my sister-in-law, so we can bitch together) want to watch the big games, especially Chiefs games. So I’ve stopped fighting it and I’ve embraced it. And by embraced it, I mean I make chili or soup or arepas, they all yell at the TV screen, and my sister-in-law and I talk about the latest social media gossip, like Tristan and Khloe scandals. Do I care about the bad call the ref made on Mahomes or Brady? No. But I do care about Khloe’s makeup choices. Guys always act like they don’t like drama, yet they revel in the twitter wars that go on after every game. Anyone else kind of surprised Twitter is still around or is that just me?
I’m just happy to say I don’t despise football anymore. I definitely don’t give two flying f*cks about it, but I do really appreciate how productive it has made me. If I need to finish a project, football is kind of like putting on white noise – you just get in the zone and bust it out. I wonder what Avery will be like when she grows up, having a family divided in their feelings towards sports. Will she want to watch it? Will she care? Will she be annoyed? Will she play it? I’m totally cool with her loving football, but I hope to drill into her brain that the most important part to any sport is simply the food. It’s just a fact.
Creamy Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Yield: 5 servings 1x
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 5oz cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 5oz white button mushrooms, quartered
- 5oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 5oz baby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour
- 48oz chicken bone broth
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Add two tablespoons of butter or ghee to a heavy bottomed dutch oven or pot, over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook down for 10 minutes, tossing every couple of minutes, until golden brown and reduced. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and mix to combined. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add 2 more tablespoons of butter or ghee to the pan then add the carrots, celery and yellow onion. Cook for 7 minutes, mixing throughout so they cook evenly, then add the garlic, rosemary, dried thyme, dried oregano, and red pepper flakes, and cook for another 3 minutes. I added 1/2 teaspoon of salt here, but that’s completely up to you. I like it salty!
- Add the gluten free flour along with the mushrooms and mix to coat all the veggies. Then add the bone broth and wild rice. Mix to combined the cover. Bring to boil then reduce to medium-low heat and cook for about 1 hour, mixing every 15 minutes to ensure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot.
- Once the rice is tender, remove from heat and add black pepper, heavy cream, and lemon juice before serving!
What I Used To Make This Recipe:
You May Also Like:
Oh, Hi! I’m Juli.
DON’T MISS A BITE
discounts, and stories straight to your inbox for FREE!