Gluten Free Cornbread Stuffing
Stuffing was my favorite thing as a kid. I wondered why anyone would eat turkey on Thanksgiving when they could just have stuffing instead. I just didn’t get it. Such dummies. I remember loading my plate up with everything at the dinner table then I would only eat the stuffing. It was such a genius plan. Until I felt incredibly uncomfortable with the amount I had consumed in 12 minutes. So what would I do? Eat pumpkin pie, obviously. Thanksgiving is such a strange day. We cook all.day.long, eat for 12 minutes, then complain for 3 days how much food we ate that day. Can I be that annoying person real quick and remind you that you don’t have to eat all the food at the table, especially the food you don’t actually want. And honestly, if you really want Thanksgiving food, you can make it any time in the year. You don’t need to wait until late November. You’re an adult and being an adult is the best when it comes to food choices!
That was a terrible intro. Sometimes I got it, most of the time I don’t. Today is just not my day. It’s one of those days when I’m thinking too much about Thanksgiving versus thinking about my work at hand. “Do we have family over during a pandemic? Probably not. The numbers are going up, it isn’t a good idea. But it will hurt their feelings if I say no. But boundaries are a good thing. But it makes me feel like a terrible person.” These are the things that are filling my mind this holiday season. And I know others have to be going through the same dilemma. Seeing our family is more important than ever, but keeping the population alive is most important. I know this post just got really serious and you simply wanted me to give you a recipe so I’ll shut up for now. But if you’re dealing with this same issue, please tell me. I need to know I’m not alone with my frustrations right now.
Gluten Free Cornbread Stuffing
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 10-12 servings 1x
- 1 bag gluten free cornbread mix*
- 1 tablespoons ghee
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 2 apples, peeled and cubed
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup dairy-free milk
- 1/2 cup chicken bone broth
- black pepper, to taste
- freshly chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8×8 baking dish.
- Make cornbread according to packaging. For the cornbread mix I used, I needed milk, eggs, and oil to make the mix. Keep that in mind when you’re doing your grocery shopping! Cook cornbread and let cool completely. Once cooled, cut cornbread into cubes and place on a baking sheet. Place in the oven for 5-7 minutes to dry out.
- While the cornbread cooks, place a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add ghee along with onion, apples, celery, and garlic. Sprinkle with salt and cook for 10 minutes to soften. Add breakfast sausage, rosemary, and thyme, and break up into small pieces. Cook for another 10 minutes, until sausage is brown and no pink remains. Turn heat off and add pecans to mix the combined.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and broth.
- Grease a 9×12 baking dish. Add half the cornbread to the bottom of the dish then top with the sausage mixture. Lastly, arrange the last bit of cornbread on top of the sausage mixture, pressing it down throughout. Pour egg mixture on top of the cornbread stuffing. Place in the oven to bake for 20-22 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- Top with black pepper and fresh parsley on top before serving!
*If you want to go strict paleo for this dish, make a double batch of my cornbread topping from this recipe instead of using gluten free cornbread!
You May Also Like:
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
This post contains some affiliate links and I may be compensated, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running! Thank you for all your support!
Oh, Hi! I’m Juli.
DON’T MISS A BITE
discounts, and stories straight to your inbox for FREE!