When I think of salads, I think of lettuce and cold veggies. But this salad is different. Mostly because I didn’t know what else to call it so I named it a salad. And because Caramelized Onion, Roasted Butter Squash, and Savory Mushrooms just didn’t have the best ring to it. So it’s a salad. But this “salad” is comforting enough that you’ll want to serve it at your Thanksgiving table this year! Especially since it’s not much work. All you really have to do is make sure the onions don’t burn. Can you do this? I believe in you! You are a superstar!!
It’s so weird to think about Thanksgiving this year since we won’t really be celebrating. My SIL is leaving out of town, my MIL and BIL are doing their own thing, and then me and my husband will be moving into our new house. My parents are here in Colorado but having them over to sit on the floor of our new house while we eat pizza probably isn’t the best thing for a 70 year old body. Hell, my 31 year old body probably won’t love it. But we probably won’t have our new furniture delivered for a few weeks after we move in, which means lots of sitting on floors will be occurring. Why does it take 12 weeks to get a couch? Amazon has really ruined everything because now I expect my groceries to be delivered in 2 hours and my normal Amazon order to come in 22 minutes. 12 weeks? That’s some horse and buddy sh*t right there.
But we found the comfiest couch we couldn’t say no to, so now we wait. And now I shop. In another life, I hope to be intelligent enough to come back as an interior designer. I love that sh*t so damn much! I could spend HOURS online looking at different home websites, trying to come up with my own vibe. Right now I’m simply obsessed with the website All Modern. I don’t know how the hell I didn’t know about this website until my husband showed me it last week. He got a FB ad since FB is listening to us at all times and now I’m in love. So good job FB, you did something good for once in your life. On this website, shipping is free and you get your items within a week. A WEEK! Not 12. I love it so much. And everything is pretty damn affordable! Now I want to hear from YOU! What are your favorite home furnishing websites that get you your furniture in a couple weeks, instead of a couple months. Throw some house decor knowledge at me!!
One last question for you! Would you have any interest in some home decor blog posts? What types of posts interest you the most? Give me your thoughts because I want to make sure you have fun every time you look at this blog! Spill the tea, please. Whatever that means. Now I need to figure out how the hell I’m suppose to leave my house today after it snowed an inch. Maybe 2 inches. But either way, I don’t want to go outside in it. Snow is cold and stupid. Lucky for my husband, we are about to have a TWO CAR garage. NBD.
- 2 sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 pound cubed butternut squash
- 1 pound button mushrooms, halved
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- flake salt, for garnish
- freshly cracked black pepper, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add ghee to a large nonstick pan over medium-low heat, then place the thinly sliced onions in it. Toss around to coat in the ghee then let the onions begin to cook down, tossing every couple minutes.
- While the onions begin to cook, place butternut squash and mushrooms on the sheet pan then pour avocado oil and maple syrup on top. Sprinkle thyme, rosemary, salt, and garlic powder on top then toss to combined everything. Flatten everything in one even layer then place in the oven to bake for 35-40 minutes.
- While the butternut squash and mushrooms cook, keep an eye on the onions, continually tossing every couple minutes. If any of the edges get too brown or black, turn the heat down. The onions will slowly caramelize over the next 40 minutes, just be patient and play on your phone. Once the onions are brown and sweet, add balsamic vinegar and a sprinkle of salt to them, then cook for another couple minutes until the vinegar burns off.
- Once the butternut squash is cooked through, add everything from the sheet pan into the pan with the caramelized onions and toss to combined. Top with flake salt and freshly cracked black pepper before serving!
More Fall Inspired Butternut Squash Recipes:
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
This post contains some affiliate links and I may be compensated, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running! Thank you for all your support!
Holiday / Salads / Vegetarian / Veggies