Instant Pot Cuban Black Beans
If you are new here, HI! My name is Juli and I just started eating beans a year ago after not eating them for 10 years while following the paleo diet. Well it has be(an) AMAZING. Beans are the freaking best. And black beans seem to work the best for me and my own gut stuff, so I buy A LOT of black bean products. Canned black beans, Fillo’s Cuban Black Beans, A Dozen Cousins Black Beans…but making the beans for yourself is SO.MUCH.CHEAPER and wayyyyy less sodium. So here we are! Today we are going to make some Cuban black beans, save some money, and keep our liver functioning properly. What a joy.
Since beans are oh so cheap to make, I’ve made this recipe a few times to get it just right. I have cooked the beans with the veggies and without, but I much prefer without because I find that the veggies get way too soft and almost flavorless when they are in the pressure cooker for that long. So instead, I cook the veggies first then add then add them back in later for extra texture and flavor. It’s a slight extra step, but it’s definitely worth it. Nobody wants floppy bell pepper skin floating around in their beans. IYKYK.
On a completely unrelated note…has anyone felt like this full moon is trying to kick them in the face? Last weeks blood supermoon and lunar eclipse has me not sleeping, crying constantly, and worrying about every tiny thing in my life AND everyone else’s life. I never used to pay attention to the moon, but now that I do, it’s almost a confirmation of why I’m feeling the way I am. Not that you can’t have that in your life without paying attention to the moon, but it’s just a little reminder that you’re not totally insane and this connection we have to the moon is real. I mean…this is also coming from a person who has become quite woowoo over the past year. I even just got some crystals that are next to my bed. Oh lord, I’m also going to a past life exploration reading today. Soooooo woowoo. Anywho, I must be going because I have a past life to hopefully relive. But if you’re not interested in that, I hope you enjoy the beans instead!
Instant Pot Cuban Black Beans
- Prep Time: 24 hours
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 24 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 1 pound dried black beans, soaked for 24 hours
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt*
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Place dried black beans in a large bowl, cover with water and set aside for at least 24 hours. This helps soften the beans for a more enjoyable texture. Once fully soaked, drain and rinse before cooking.
- Place olive oil in the basin of the instant pot and place on the sauté function. Add onion and bell pepper. Add a pinch of salt and sauté for 5 minutes. Then add garlic and cook for another 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside for later. Press cancel on the instant pot.
- Add the rinsed beans to the pot along with water, vinegar, salt, oregano, cumin, black pepper, and bay leaves. Mix together to combined then top with lid, secure, and press the pressure cook function. Set to 30 minutes on high pressure. Once the beans are done cooking, you can quick release or let it naturally release, either way will work. Add the onions and peppers back in and mix to combined. The beans will have some excess liquid, but it thickens as it sits throughout the week and keeps the beans fresh!
*I REALLY like salt so I like to add a good amount. You could always lower the salt amount and then taste the beans once they are cooked to see if they need more salt
What I Used to Make This Recipe:
You May Also Like:
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
This post contains some affiliate links and I may be compensated, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running! Thank you for all your support!
Oh, Hi! I’m Juli.
DON’T MISS A BITE
discounts, and stories straight to your inbox for FREE!