Lightened Up Mexican Street Corn Salad
Now I know what you may be thinking…what’s with the corn, Juli or whoever you are because I don’t know you or care to because you eat corn!?! CORN IS NOT PALEO!!! WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU? Well if you’ve been hanging out lately, you know I’ve been mixing things up in my own diet, having extremely good experiences with it, and sharing my experience and knowledge with you! Does this mean you should eat this salad? No. Does this mean you should eat beans 6x/day like me? No. Does this mean you should give up caffeine because I did? No. And even though my website has thousands of paleo recipes on it, I’m switching things up because I’m expanding so I want the blog to expand with me. Let’s grow, people. Let’s grow.
This year has been all about growth, expansion, and letting go of the constant demonizing that goes on around food. I was scared of so many foods for the past 10 years because I felt like I had to stay in this little paleo box. Like I had to stick with this label I had given myself. This identity. But what I’ve figured out this year is that we can have any identity we give ourselves. We can be and do anything we want. And I hope that learning experience helps you see that, as well. That being said, I’ve been eating organic corn a weekly basis lately and I’ve loved it. I feel great, I enjoy it, and my life is more flavorful because of it! And because of that corn adventure, I grabbed some Mexican street corn salad at the grocery store while I was in Austin last week. And since it was grocery store-made food, it had weird binders and sugars in it. But it was still fucking delicious and I wanted to make it myself at home, with my own spin to it. So that’s exactly what I did.
Now that I’ve admitted I have no identity, let me admit one other thing…I’ve never actually had the real deal Mexican street corn. I’ve known the ingredients in it for quite a while, heavy on the sour cream and mayo, which is why I stayed away from it whenever I saw it on a menu. But turns out you can make a really quick and easy version of it yourself, all with less calories! And for my vegan friends out there, this is also a vegan dish. So it’s not only lighter, made with no weird fillers that the grocery store loves to add, and it’s vegan! I don’t make many vegan dishes because I don’t really know all the parameters around vegan, but I think I did it! So if you like keeping yourself in that box, with that identity, I’m here for you! And if you don’t and you’ve become a free spirit like me, I’m here for you, too! Isn’t it fun being free? I dig it. I also dig eating so I must be going. It’s snack time.
Lightened Up Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- avocado oil spray
- 32 ounce frozen corn
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed, finely diced
- 1/4 red onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces vegan feta cheese*
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup dairy-free yogurt**
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon salt
- lime wedges, for garnish
- Place a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Spray with avocado oil and add frozen corn. Cover and let steam for 5 minutes. Once steamed and cooked through, remove lid and cook corn in the pan to brown on all sides, about 4-5 more minutes. One done, place in a shallow bowl and place in the fridge to cool just a bit.
- Chop bell pepper, jalapeño, onion, garlic, cheese, and cilantro. Add to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, lime zest and juice, chili powder, paprika, and red pepper flakes.
- Add cooled corn to the veggie dish and pour greek yogurt sauce on top. Use a spatula to fold the ingredients together. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of salt on top and mix to combined. Taste to see if it needs more salt and add more, if needed. Serve with extra lime wedges! Keep refrigerated and enjoy those leftovers because they are goooood.
What I Used to Make This Recipe:
You May Also Like:
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
This post contains some affiliate links and I may be compensated, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running! Thank you for all your support!
Oh, Hi! I’m Juli.
DON’T MISS A BITE
discounts, and stories straight to your inbox for FREE!