Apples are in season. I would know, I picked them in Pittsburgh. From a tree and everything. Then ate them. And they were delicious. I even posed while picking them. So natural.
Problem is, with apples, all I ever want to do is make apple pie. Which I did in Pittsburgh. PS it was great. When I finish my latest project, I’ll definitely show you what it looks like. You may want to put your mouth on it. Like someone from Pawnee drinking from the water fountain. If you don’t understand that reference, stop reading this and watch Parks & Rec. Favorite episode of all time. But until then, you’ll have to just watch me pick apples. Back to the point though, apples can do so much more than just apple pie. You can bake meat in them! Thrilling, I know. Sweet and savory are just the best.
Speaking of the best, I’m obsessed with The Mindy Project. Mostly because Mindy’s outfits are the best. Ever. Who else can sport plaid and polkadots together? Only her. Each season of her show keeps getting better and better. I need her wardrobe. At least I read her book. That has nothing to do with her outfits but man is that book hilarious.
WTFITSALREADYOCTOBER?? I would have had no idea except I got an email this morning saying I need to pay rent. What a terrible reminder it’s the beginning of the next month. I just have so much to get done in the month of October, it’s going by too fast already!!!! It’s stressing me out. I know how to deal with my stress…gluten free donuts. I’m going to buy one today. Yes, I should be working. But I just know a donut will make me more productive. It’s science. Another reminder it’s October, I just got a $75 ticket for not changing the registration sticker on my license plate. Thanks for the subtle reminder parking police. PS you’re the worst.
- 4 slices of bacon
- 5 apples (I used honey crisp), halved and hollowed out using a melon baller
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- pinch of black pepper
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- extra ghee for topping apples
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place bacon on a baking sheet and bake bacon in oven for 15 minutes or until crispy then chop into small pieces.
- While bacon is cooking, cut apples in half then use a melon baller to hollow out each apple then set aside.
- Place a large saute pan over medium heat. Add ghee and minced garlic.
- Once garlic becomes fragrant, add onion and ground pork.
- Brown pork and break into small pieces, then add celery, salt, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, black pepper, red wine vinegar, sage and chopped bacon. Mix well until combined.
- Scoop mixture into each apple half. Top each apple with about 1 teaspoon of ghee on top of the mixture.
- Place in a baking dish and bake for 40-45 minutes until apples are tender.
You May Also Like:
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
I may be compensated through my affiliate links in this post, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running! Thank you for your support with PaleOMG!