Here’s something weird: I’ve never liked figs. Dried figs, for sure. Fresh figs, gross. I still imagine the episode of Sex and the City where Charlotte dates the guy who’s notorious around town and he eats a fig at dinner in a way that no human being should eat a fig. Therefore, I have not eaten a fig since then. Until today. These grilled ones topped with all kinds of sexy stuff make figs way more appetizing. Fig season may almost be gone, but you should definitely try these before winter takes over!
Speaking of winter, it’s coming and I hate it so much. Maybe not for you California or Texas people, but for the rest of the world, it’s totally coming. We were in Seattle for a hot minute the other day and I was not prepared for the weather. Short skirt and no heavy jacket made JuJu a cold girl. Ew, do you totally hate when I talk to myself in the third person? And call myself JuJu? The worst. Can you tell I just had a glass of cold brew coffee and I’m buzzzzing like a mother effa? I can.
I don’t even drink coffee that much. I’m not a butter in my coffee kind of person. Or a mix of crazy oils so I’m full for 4 days kind of person. I’m just a couple sips of coffee kind of person then I forget about it, it gets cold, and I’ve moved on in my life, just pouring money down the drain. But with this book tour, you get super tired. Which seems weird because you only have a two hour event and then you do whatever the rest of the time. But the rest of the time is spent in autopilot: airport to plane to rental car to hotel to unpack suitcase to very poorly put on fake eye lashes to repacking suitcase to rental car center to airport to plane. And then you do it all over again. And if you’ve traveled much, you know how your body feels. That’s how I’m feeling all the time right now. 13 days on the road and coffee is a must right now. Are you guys as obsessed with Stumptown cold brew coffee as I am? It’s like crack. Like responsible, socially acceptable crack.
Ok, I’m back on the grilling train again. Have you seen my most recent recipes on the grill? I got my first Traeger grill, stared at it for a while because I didn’t know what to do with it, then got to cooking and trying things out. My most recent Traeger grill inspired recipes include my Orange Glazed Chicken Kabobs (seriously probably one of my favorite PaleOMG recipes ever), my Grilled Romaine Hearts with Celery Salt Ranch, and my Thai Sweet Chili Pork Burgers. I’m obviously obsessed with grilling and I’ll probably do it all winter since we have a covered porch. But I wanted a fun grill dessert recipe since I haven’t done one of those in years. But if figs aren’t your thing, don’t worry, I’ll have more dessert recipes on the grill someday soon. Because….dessert.
For the apple cider caramel
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1 cup maple sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cinnamon stick
For the grilled figs
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine all the ingredients for apple cider caramel. Stir until completely combined.
- Bring to a boil, then set a timer for 12 minutes, being sure not to let the mixture boil over. After 12 minutes, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 more minutes or until the caramel coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat then let cool for 5 minutes then remove cinnamon stick before serving.
- Make coconut whipped cream and set in the fridge to keep cool
- Lastly, heat grill to a medium-high heat. Brush the inside of each fig half with melted ghee, sprinkle with a pinch of maple sugar and cinnamon on top, then place ghee side down on the hot grill. Grill for about 1 to 1½ minutes until grill marks appear.
- Top each fig half 1 teaspoon of caramel, 1 teaspoon of whipped cream and a mint leaf to make it all cute and stuff.
You May Also Like:
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
I may be compensated through my affiliate links in this post, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running!