I heart brownies. Any sort. The Sugar Bakeshop, which is the coffee shop I have spent most of my life at, makes the most fantastic smelling brownies ever. And tasting. I think because there is about 8 pounds of butter in it. Genius. I’ve made a handful of paleo brownies on my website. I pretty much like them all the same because they all taste like chocolate. I’ll actually be making my sweet potato brownies for my cookbook signing on Saturday October 5th (meaning tomorrow) at the Rx Dash n’ Bash at Sports Authority Field from 8am-2pm. Come by, pick up a brownie or muffin and my cookbook! All spectators are welcome so come by and watch or just gossip with me. That’s more fun.
So I recently tasted the best brussels sprouts in the entire world. Seriously. I LOVE brussels sprouts, but only when they are cooked a certain way. Meaning burnt. So I tend to only like my own because I know how to burn them just right. But the other day, I went to Steuben’s and figured out what I want to eat for the rest of my life. They are truly the best thing, ever. I’m pretty sure they cook them in butter, or duck fat, or bacon fat (so I really have no idea) then they flash fry them in some kind of delicious oil, then they cover them in salt. Then more salt. And if that’s not good enough for you, they give you some kind of dipping sauce on the side. Before you go freaking out on me, believe me, I don’t think any of this was paleo other than the raw brussels sprouts that started the process, but it was so completely worth it.
I’ve decided that this is going to be a regular Wednesday afternoon activity. Mostly because I get to hang out with my friend Sergio from CrossFit Colfax and Clark from CrossFit South Denver. We mostly just like to talk about whose gym is better. I obviously win. Because I have boobs. Boobs always win. Anywho, I posted a picture of my food with the guys in the background on instagram and people mentioned the french fries they were eating. Which were delicious, FYI. It’s always interesting to see what people write when it has to do with non paleo food. They don’t like it, that’s for sure. But please remember, these individuals workout a balls ton AND are adults. They get to consume whatever the hell they want. Especially when it comes to Steuben’s. What you didn’t get to see is when I consumed both Sergio’s and Clark’s sides of flash fried brussels sprouts. I bet people would have judged me if they would have seen that. Stop that judging. That’s my duty.
It’s becoming moth season. NOOOOOOOOOO. The worst.
Hey, remember when I went to the Dominican Republic for a girls trip a while back? Well, we are already thinking about our next one. Which won’t be until March or April, but I guess we like to plan. But we don’t know where to go next time. When we were in the Dominican, it was ALLLLLL couples. Which is fine, unless you’re not a couple. We want to go somewhere that we don’t feel like the outcasts, but we aren’t partying like we’re 21. No Mexico please. Any advice? Anything?
- 1 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Coconut Cream Concentrate
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- coconut oil, for greasing baking dish
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate chips along with coconut cream concentrate until well combined.
- Remove from heat and mix in pumpkin puree and honey.
- Add egg, vanilla, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix well.
- Grease an 8x8 glass baking dish with coconut oil.
- Pour batter into baking dish and into oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Let rest and cool. The longer these rest, the more dense they become. Which is what we want! Duh.
- Once brownies have cooled, mix together pumpkin puree, coconut milk, and cinnamon in a bowl. Place the mixture in a plastic bag, cut off the end, and pipe on designs however you see fit on the brownies.