*You can make your own pico de gallo and guacamole OR buy it in store, like I did…because I’m lazy at breakfast
Probably 3 years ago, I decided to eliminate eggs from my diet and see how my body reacted. I had gone on accutane and my severe cystic acne had completely cleared up, but after a year of being off the medication, I was having some flare-ups again. And when I mentioned my frustration on instagram, someone mentioned that eggs were causing them to break out and maybe I was experiencing the same thing. So I pulled on my big girl pants and I cut out eggs, and you know what happened…my skin cleared up. I stopped having breakouts completely. It was a huge bummer and a huge surprise, especially since I was eating the best quality eggs available. Eggs were a part of my daily life and I knew it would be challenging to cut them out. Maybe not challenging, but definitely depressing. Eggs were always the easiest protein to get in my diet and now I would have to change direction when it came to my meals.
But as soon as I made that switch, the skin issues went away. Then once I would have eggs again thinking I could get away with it, I would have a skin flare up the same day or the next. So eggs and I have broken up completely. Say I’m baking something like a banana bread with eggs, I can usually get away with eating one piece of the banana bread, but I usually don’t push my luck. Surprisingly, the only time I seem to be able to eat eggs is when I’m in another country. I had eggs for breakfast every single day while I was in France because there really wasn’t another option, and I had no skin issues whatsoever. So interesting and strange, especially since I always bought the best quality eggs.
The whole reason I’m telling you this is because I know others have experienced this themselves then feel a little lost at breakfast when it comes what to eat other than eggs. Yes, eggs are super quick to whip up in no time flat so you may have to plan a little differently, but it’s really not too hard once you get the hang of it. Now instead of eggs, I just get some sort of protein. Even yesterday I went out to breakfast and I ordered this green chile hash and asked for chorizo instead of eggs – no problemo. Or say I’m at restaurant that has really no egg-free options, I just ask for a side of breakfast sausage and potatoes, and then I make my own hash. It gets easier the more you do it. But when I asked people a few months ago what kind of recipes you guys were looking for, many people asked for egg-free breakfast ideas. So BOOM! Here you go! Eat your non-egg-eating heart out! No eggs are needed in this breakfast and no break-outs are needed either. Acne is stupid – breakfast shouldn’t be.
- 3 sweet potatoes, cubed (whatever color you prefer)
- 6 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 pounds breakfast sausage
- 2 heads of dino kale, roughly chopped and massaged
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup pico de gallo*
- 1 cup guacamole*
- chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, toss sweet potatoes in 3 tablespoons of avocado oil and sprinkle with salt and garlic powder, then place evenly throughout the baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes, tossing them half way through to help brown on all sides.
- Once the sweet potatoes have 15 minutes left to cook, place a large nonstick pan over medium heat and add the breakfast sausage. Break into small pieces and cook until browned and no pink remains.
- While the breakfast sausage is cooking, place another nonstick pan over medium heat and add 3 tablespoons of avocado oil to it. Add the chopped kale and sauté for about 5 minutes, then add the salt, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Toss to coat and then add the lemon juice.
- Once the potatoes are done cooking, build 4 bowlw - sweet potatoes on the bottom, then breakfast sausage, sautéed kale, pico de gallo, guacamole, and top it all off with some chopped cilantro!
*You can make your own pico de gallo and guacamole OR buy it in store, like I did...because I'm lazy at breakfast
More Egg-Free Breakfast Ideas:
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
This post contains some affiliate links and I may be compensated, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running! Thank you for all your support!
Breakfast / Pork