I like to incorporate as many different kinds of meats into a meal. More protein, happier Juli.
I had gumbo a little while back while I was at one of my favorite in town restaurants, Finley’s Pub. I haven’t really had a ton of gumbo in my life. Not sure why. Other than I was deprived as a child. Obviously. But the gumbo at Finley’s Pub rocked my world and inspired me to create my own. It could have been the multiple glasses of wine I had or the company, but mostly it was just the scent of gumbo in the air. Thank you Finley’s, for your inspiration, and effing good food. If you’re in Denver, you should go there.
OMG. I have to get something off my chest. There’s something that really bugs me. Now don’t think I’m lame, but I dislike it when people spell my name wrong when they are writing on my Facebook page. My personal Facebook page, not my paleomg one. But my personal one, that says JULI at the top. It does not say Julie. No, there is no e present within that name. I know it’s a bit weird, but that’s what my mother decided so I would be different. She had no idea at the time that I would be such a mess that I didn’t actually need a different spelled name. But I just don’t get it. How can you be looking at my page, where it says Juli in bold letters, and still spell it wrong? That’s just straight up lazy sh*t right there. I’m not one to correct people, but if they know me enough to be Facebook friends with me, then they better spell my damn name correctly. Ok, I got that off my chest. I feel better now.
Googling your name is so much fun. And creepy.
Can you believe Kim Kardashian is pregnant? Yeah, I can too.
So I think that I want to bring in the new year having more house parties. Or get togethers. Whatever you like to call them. We had people over on New Year’s Eve and it forced Laura and I to actually deep clean our house. I mean, we scrubbed the toilet, the tub, the kitchen cabinets, the stove. Really anything and everything. The two of us ladies even upped our decorating. Big things. But the best part of it all is that the party was super fun. We only had less than 10 people over and I think we went through more than 10 bottles of champagne and wine. Yeah, it was an interesting night. But we made paleo cookies, no bake chocolate balls and my friend Jeremy brought bacon wrapped dates. I.freaking.love.that.man. And bacon wrapped dates. House parties are just so much fun. I love other humans.
- 4 smoked andouille chicken sausages, sliced
- 1.5 cups raw, deveined shrimp
- 1 cup leftover easy shredded pork
- 6 cups broth (I used half vegetable, half chicken broth)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley, to garnish
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat (or other kind of fat)
For the rice
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat. Add your bacon fat along with your 4 garlic cloves, onion, celery, and bell peppers. Cook until onions become translucent.
- Then add all your spices and tomato paste.
- Pour in your broth and bay leaves and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Next add your smoked sausage and shredded pork. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Lastly, add your shrimp and salt and pepper and cook for another 5 minutes.
- While your gumbo is cooking, make your rice.
- Add cauliflower to a food processor with the shredding attachment to "rice" the cauliflower. No food processor? Use a cheese grater instead.
- Now add a medium saucepan over medium heat and add your fat along with 1 garlic clove then the cauliflower.
- Let cook for about 5 minutes, then add the broth and salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- The cauliflower will cook down for about 10-12 minutes while you are making your gumbo, so keep an eye on it so it does not burn. Like mine did.
- Top cauliflower rice with gumbo and garnish with a bit of chopped parsley. Enjoy!
You May Also Like:
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
I may be compensated through my affiliate links in this post, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running!
21DSD Entrees / Chicken / Fish/Seafood / Pork / Veggies