Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
I’ve been craving sweet potato fries all weekend…which is weird since it’s 2023 and not 2011. Remember when sweet potato fries swept the nation and it became a staple on all restaurant menus? You could even go to a sushi restaurant and order a side of sweet potato fries with your salmon roll. They were EVERYWHERE. And since I’m easily swayed for societal pressures to fit in, especially when it comes to food choices (hence my blog name being PaleOMG), I ate sweet potatoes until I could not fathom putting another orange wedge in my mouth. I remember doing this detox where you couldn’t eat sugar, but you could still eat sweet potatoes, which meant I ate sweet potatoes for every snack and every meal. I still can’t even mess with the idea of eating a sweet potato chip ever again. They haunt my dreams.
But I digress. I thought about sweet potato fries all weekend long since my 12 year hiatus felt like long enough. Which meant that I pulled my favorite air fryer oven out of the pantry to make a batch first thing Monday morning. Monday to do list – workout, drink electrolytes, feed my baby, and make sweet potato fries. That’s honestly an ideal start to a week, if you ask me. And since feeding your baby takes a lot of energy from you, I think I need to make these fries more often. But let’s be straight here…plain ole fries from plain ole potatoes are way better. They just are. Give me a gold potato for fries or a hash and F*CK ME UP, I’ll be happy all day long.
I’ve never counted carbs in my life, because, talk about hashtag triggered…that sh*t would have screwed up my brain back in the day when I had a weird relationship with food. But these days, since I simply see food as joy and a way to improve on the things that I want, it’s much easier for me to fathom tracking my food. So that’s what I’ve been doing ever since Avery was born. My goal was to put on more muscle, so I started with keeping track of my protein. But now that I’ve hit a plateau, it’s all about the carbs, which means I’m tracking them for the first time ever. AND eating way more of them. What a fun thing. I’m making sure I get lots of fruit, oats, and squash in. And also, SWEET POTATOES. Plus, Avery loves sweet potatoes, so we get to eat them together. It’s a real win-win over here. Food is just the best.
On that note, it’s about time for lunch over here, and I have a big batch of sweet potatoes ready for the dippin’!
Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Slice sweet potatoes in a uniform shape. This will help all the fries cook evenly. Here is a video to help you cut sweet potatoes evenly in slices or diced.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Toss with avocado oil. Sprinkle potato starch, seasonings, and salt over the sweet potatoes and toss once more to combined.
- Add sweet potato fries to the air fryer, making sure you don’t crowd the basket. This will mean you will have to work in batches, but I have a way to finish them off at the end to heat and crisp them back up!
- Turn air fryer to 400 degrees F. Cook sweet potatoes for 15 minutes or until crispy (time will range depending on the thickness of the fries). Repeat with remaining batches.
- Once all the batches are done cooking, add all the sweet potato fries back to the basket (now it’s fine to overlap them) and cook once more at 400 degrees F for 4-5 minutes to heat back through.
- Mix together dipping sauce ingredients and dip to your heart’s delight.
What I Used to Make This Recipe:
You May Also Like:
This post contains some affiliate links and I may be compensated, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running! Thank you for all your support!
Oh, Hi! I’m Juli.
DON’T MISS A BITE
discounts, and stories straight to your inbox for FREE!