Triple Berry Kale Salad
Salads are not my thing. I write that on every salad recipe I create. In my opinion, salads are exhausting. I think because my first introduction to salads was when I was finally going through puberty and tore 5 pairs of jeans in one day, and someone recommended I start eating salads. And guess what? When you’re 13 and stuffing your face with donuts every day, salads just don’t tickle your fancy like donuts do. So I thought of salads as diet food. Miserable, exhausting, diet food. But there are a handful of salads out there that have reminded me that they aren’t diet food, they are just delicious food. You can eat a salad without being on a diet and actually enjoy it. Imagine that!
Still not totally sold on the idea, but I’m trying.
This kale berry salad is here to give you a mouth full of vitamins, flavor, and leave you feeling satisfied. Will it make your life as good as donuts? Sadly no. But it will lead you to feel better throughout the day, and the next day, and the next week. As for donuts, they will slowly lead you to tear 5 pairs of jeans when consumed regularly. Kale, however, will not. But remember, kale is a high maintenance girlfriend. She needs some massages before dinner time. Don’t forget to massage your kale, give it a rub down, and make it feel special. When you do this, it’s less tough and angry. Just trust me on this one.
As I type this post in France, looking out the window of our chateaux to a pond filled with giant ducks and sprawling green hills behind them; I now understand why people are so obsessed with Europe and spend so much time here. I wasn’t huge into Paris because it felt so crowded and busy, but the countryside of Burgundy has shown me that each turn in Europe is more beautiful than the last. I leave tomorrow and now I wish I would have stayed longer. I do understand that increases my chances of getting pickpocketed, but it’s a chance I would be willing to take.
Someone told me that Parisians don’t wear sneakers and me wearing sneakers while walking around Paris puts a target on my back. You know what actually puts a target on my back? Being a dumb American who only speaks English when everyone else in town speaks 4 languages. I might as well be screaming I’M AN IGNORANT AMERICAN. The sneakers are just the sensible part about being American. Athleisure is my life.
I would love to chat more but I currently just stuffed my face with truffle gnocchi and truffle risotto. And now I have savory AND sweet crepes awaiting my presence. If you need me, I’ll be in a coma later. Don’t bother me.
Triple Berry Kale Salad
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Total Time: 17 minutes
- Yield: 5-6 1x
For the candied walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons maple or coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- pinch of salt
For the orange dressing
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- pinch of salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
For the salad
- 1 head of kale, roughly chopped
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- Place a medium pan over medium heat. Add walnuts to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes until they begin to become golden and fragrant. Then add sugar, maple syrup and salt. Use a spatula to toss the nuts in the sugar mixture until the sugar melts and coats the nuts. Remove from heat once melted, about 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Place all ingredients for the orange dressing in a jar, seal, shake well to combined then place in the fridge.
- Remove kale leaves from the stem. Roughly chop kale then place into a large serving bowl. Use your hands to massage the kale for 1-2 minutes. This will soften the kale and make it more enjoyable to eat! Add the rest of the salad ingredients to the salad bowl along with the candied walnuts. Once ready to serve, add desired amount of orange dressing, toss then serve immediately.
More Summer Salad Recipes You Might Like:
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
This post contains some affiliate links and I may be compensated, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running! Thank you for all your support!
Oh, Hi! I’m Juli.
DON’T MISS A BITE
discounts, and stories straight to your inbox for FREE!